Skip to main content

Morgan Middle School

Home of the Bulldogs

History of Morgan

Mr. John H. "Pop" Morgan
Morgan Middle School's Namesake

Mr. John H. "Pop" Morgan Morgan Middle School's Namesake

John Ford Clymer Painting of Pop Morgan
Owned by Ellensburg School District
On loan to Clymer Museum of Art

Who was John H. “Pop” Morgan? Our school is proudly named after John Henry Morgan, a pioneer of education in Washington State. Born in 1852, Morgan dedicated his life to public education, serving as a principal, a county superintendent, and the head of mathematics at what is now Central Washington University. He was deeply beloved by his students at Ellensburg High School, who affectionately gave him the nickname "Pop." Known for his dry sense of humor, high standards, and intense dedication to his students' success, Morgan left a legacy of educational excellence in Ellensburg.

Our Campus History The original Morgan Junior High School was built in 1929 for $145,000. Designed as a state-of-the-art facility, it featured a massive 1,000-seat auditorium, modern heating, and fireproof construction. Over the last century, our campus has grown and evolved alongside the Ellensburg community:

  • 1929 – 1935: The main building, auditorium, and main gymnasium are constructed.

  • 1953 – 1994: Decades of expansion add new locker rooms, cafeterias, libraries, and dedicated science, math, and arts wings.

  • 2012: The original 1929/1935 building is closed to prepare for major modernization.

  • 2016 – 2018: A massive demolition and rebuilding project takes place, resulting in the beautiful, newly remodeled, and modernized campus our students learn in today.

Old Picture of Ellensburg School